WATERTOWN, SD (KELO) – A Sioux Falls man is in custody after an incident at an Econo Lodge hotel in Watertown that ended early Thursday morning.
According to a news release from the Watertown Police Department, the incident began around 6 p.m. Wednesday when police learned that 29-year-old Mohamed Abdikadir, who was wanted for parole violations and warrants in the Sioux Falls area, was in town.
The police made contact with Abdikadir at the hotel, at which point he entered his room and barricaded himself inside. The police tried to negotiate with Abdikadir all night before SWAT was used.
Police say Abdikadir had a handgun concealed on him when SWAT officers arrested him at 1:08 a.m., and a second handgun was found during a warranted search of his hotel room . Abdikadir is prohibited from owning a firearm due to prior offences, the statement said.
Abdikadir is charged with the following:
- Possession of a loaded firearm by a violent ex-offender
- Concealment of a dangerous weapon with intent to commit a crime
- Simple assault on a law enforcement officer
- resist arrest
- Loaded firearm in possession while intoxicated
- Identity theft to deceive law enforcement
- Show another person’s identity
Abdikadir’s bail is set at $100,000, cash only.