Township of Fairfield. police who shot gunman injured were justified, chief says – WHIO TV 7 and WHIO Radio

FAIRFIELD TWP., Butler County – Body camera footage of Fairfield Twp. Police watch officers shoot and wound a 29-year-old gunman, Chief Robert Chabali said Friday.

The officers involved in Wednesday night’s shooting were vindicated, the chief said at a news conference where the footage was released to reporters, our news partner reported.

>> 5 Montgomery County men sent to prison for federal drug trafficking

Township of Fairfield. officers responded to Camargo Trailer Park in the 5500 block of Fairfield Road to reports from a mobile crisis staff member that a person was having a mental episode. As officers spoke with family members outside, body camera footage shows Brian Hubbard, holding a knife and hammer, exiting the house and walking towards officers.

Moments before Hubbard chased the police, this mobile crisis staff member stopped at the residence, Chabali said. In the video shown to reporters, police can be heard repeatedly telling Hubbard to lay down his arms.

The video, which shows multiple angles of the incident, sees Hubbard shot multiple times. Then he lays down his arms and returns to the house where the police arrested him.

He was taken to UC West Chester hospital and was reportedly in critical condition on Friday evening.

Chabali said he thought the officers were right to shoot.

Steve Irwin, press secretary for the Ohio attorney general’s office, said no officers were injured. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is handling the investigation.

Less than a month ago, two Fairfield Twps. the officers resigned after they failed to use lethal force against an armed suspect.

Chabali said officers Austin Reed and Mark Bartlett were looking for Stephaun Jones, 25, after he shot and killed someone. When they arrived at the scene and left their cars, Jones pointed a gun at them and refused to listen to their orders.

Officer Reed deployed his Taser but did not hit Jones. Bartlett wrote in a police report that he was “unable to shoot the man, as a citizen was mowing his lawn behind the male suspect.” Officers lost sight of Jones, who was later shot by Hamilton police.

“It was determined that our officers, two of whom did not actually do what they were supposed to do, which was to use lethal force to stop the threat,” Chabali said.

BCI is investigating the Jones shooting. The two Hamilton officers were placed on administrative leave under that police service’s policy.