SPECIALIZED negotiators have been called in as a police standoff with an ‘armed’ man who barricaded himself inside a house with his son reaches its 60th hour.
Stunned residents have been ordered to stay home while up to 20 armed officers remain at the scene as the siege continues.
Emergency crews rushed to a street in Coventry, West Midlands, to carry out a wellness check on a man and an eight-year-old child shortly after midnight on Sunday.
It means police have been locked in a standoff for 60 hours and counting as the tense incident develops.
The 41-year-old “would be armed”, police said.
Attempts to negotiate with the man were intensified as specialist officers were sent in to try to defuse the situation.
Police said armed cops will remain on the street until the incident is safely resolved.
A primary school remains closed today for the safety of pupils while nearby roads are also closed as the tense clash continues over the Victorian property.
Most read in The Scottish Sun
Residents trapped in the cordoned off area must be escorted in and out of their homes by officers.
A neighbor said: “We can’t believe this is going on but some of us are being allowed to leave our homes now.
“I think the negotiators have been there all night, I saw them having food at one point and I heard he was updating social media a lot.
“It apparently has to do with a social services battle, but I don’t know all the details. It’s really concerning and we’re still hoping for a safe ending.”
Another woman, who lives near Newcombe Road, added: “The number of police outside the cordon has gone down but officers are still at home.
“The officers had their weapons drawn up on the spot but so far there has been no movement. It is quite scary as it is a beautiful road.
“I was hoping it would have been resolved by now because we are all very worried. We can leave our house but people are still stuck inside their homes inside the cordon.”
The force said in a statement released around midnight on Tuesday: “Our priority is the safety of those involved, including residents who live within the perimeter of the cordon.”
Chief Superintendent Pete Henrick, Coventry Police Commander, said: “We understand that this situation is of deep concern to some local residents and we want to reassure them that we are doing everything we can to see it through.
“I ask that people support us because specialist officers remain on the scene.”
“We apologize for the continued disruption to everyone in the cordon surrounding Earlsdon Avenue North, but our priority remains the safety of those involved,” he added.
“Your patience is appreciated and we will continue to update you as the situation develops.”
Coventry City Council is arranging temporary accommodation for families outside the cordon and a ‘rest centre’ has been set up at Earlsdon Library.
A spokesperson said: “We are supporting the police as they respond to an ongoing incident on Earlsdon Avenue North.
“We can confirm that we have arranged a rest center for those in need within Earlsdon Library and we will also be arranging temporary accommodation for anyone who cannot enter their homes due to the police cordon. “