No charge for Winnipeg cop who shot gunman to death five times: police watchdog

Manitoba Police Watch says no charges should be laid against Winnipeg cop who shot dead man five times while responding to assault report in the spring latest.

On Thursday, the Manitoba Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) released its final report into the fatal shooting of a man in the Maples neighborhood in the wee hours of April 18, 2020.

The IIU said police were called to the Adsum Drive area shortly after 4:00 a.m. for a report that a man was assaulted by two people – one armed with a handgun and the another with a shovel – who had threatened to steal it. while he was throwing out his garbage.

According to interviews of IIU investigators with Winnipeg police, when officers arrived in the area, Winnipeg police confronted two people – a man and a youth.

One of the witnesses who spoke to IUI investigators said he woke up around 4:15 am when he heard crashing noises and a voice screaming, “Show me your hands, show me your hands, show me your hands. me your hands ”. He said he heard no response, then he heard gunshots followed by someone saying “Show me your hands” on two more occasions.

The IIU said that although the officer who shot the man refused to attend an interview with IIU investigators, he provided notes and a prepared statement to the IIU.

The IIU said in the statement that the officer said he and a manager from the Winnipeg K9 Police Force were at the scene to answer the call and confronted two people walking down an alley between Pipeline Road and Larter Crescent .

Believing that these two were the ones who committed the theft, the officer said he drew his gun. He said one of the people had a metal bar and was swinging it towards the officers.

The K9 master told IUI investigators he did not deploy his police dog because he feared the person would kill the dog with the metal pipe.

The officer said he gave the person verbal orders to drop the bar, but said when the person took a few steps towards him he fired his gun.

The IIU investigation revealed that the officer fired his gun five times, hitting the man in the chest. The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The autopsy report concluded that the man’s death was the result of five gunshot wounds.

The IIU said the investigation into the shooting included an expert opinion on the use of force which stated that the subject officer “used an appropriate response given all of the surrounding circumstances. to him. The force used did not exceed that which was necessary. “

The IIU said the Manitoba Prosecution Service has reviewed the investigation and said it is not convinced there is a reasonable likelihood of conviction. The IIU therefore said there was no reason to justify charges against the officer.


Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) identified the man who was shot dead as 22-year-old Stewart Andrews.

MKO Grand Chief Garrison Settee said he met Andrews’ family and the IIU earlier in the week to discuss the investigation.

“I find it very disturbing and very disturbing,” he said.

Settee said he still had many questions about why the Winnipeg police dog was not deployed.

“I firmly believe that if the police dog were deployed, Stuart Andrews would be alive today if there had been any use of non-lethal tactics,” he said.

“It is very disheartening and devastating to think that a police dog is worth more than a native man.”

Settee called for indigenous surveillance in IUI investigations.

You can read the full report here: