Gunman Killed in SWAT Standoff in Spokane Valley | Local

SPOKANE — It began around 11:00 p.m. Monday, when the suspect’s neighbors reported hearing gunshots at their Spokane Valley home, and after checking their residence, they located what appeared to be two bullet holes.

Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputies arrived, attempted to contact the suspect, and established the perimeter. SWAT Team, Crisis Negotiators, Spokane Valley Fire Rescue Task Force Members, Mental Health Units, Spokane Regional Air Support Unit Members, Fire Department of the Spokane Valley and AMR were all called to the scene. Members of the Spokane Police Department SWAT team played a supporting role as this hours-long standoff continued.

At approximately 3:10 a.m. Tuesday, a signed search warrant for the suspect’s home was obtained. At approximately 5:30 a.m., the Central Valley School District was notified of this dangerous situation and that the incident command post was at the elementary school. Central School District officials have determined that for the safety of area students and staff, the school will be closed for the day due to ongoing safety concerns.

As the situation began to deteriorate Tuesday afternoon, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office said the suspect fired and disabled two unmanned drones. Several Palestinian Authority announcements advising the suspect to surrender peacefully throughout the incident failed and several calls to his phone went unanswered. Information has been obtained that the suspect was armed and possibly in possession of multiple handguns and rifles.

The suspect fired several times from inside the house and a fire was observed on the second floor. The suspect was seen moving around the house, wearing a gas mask and holding a handgun.

Minutes later he entered the garage, gained access to a vehicle in an apparent attempt to escape, but then decided to run out to the backyard. Not wanting the suspect to break containment, for the safety of the community and emergency responders, just after 11:00 a.m. he was confronted by members of the SWAT team and shots were fired. As soon as the scene was secured, the suspect received medical attention, but was pronounced dead at the scene.

Members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit were called to the scene to ensure the area was safe for investigators. Just before 5:00 p.m., they determined the house was safe and the shelter-in-place order was lifted.