A 31-year-old man, who was shot and seriously injured by Fort Worth officers after police said he tried to abduct his family at gunpoint last week, has died.
Alejandro Molina Cornelio remained in hospital for almost a week before succumbing to his injuries on Tuesday evening. Molina Cornelio died of multiple gunshot wounds in a local intensive care unit, according to the medical examiner’s office.
On June 29, Molina Cornelio attempted to use a shotgun to abduct his ex-wife and their children in the 3200 block of Olive Place, then returned for a second attempt as she was pursued by officers, police said.
Response officers were in the process of moving the victims to another location, but due to Molina Cornelio’s proximity to the scene, the police decided to block the streets to keep him away from the house.
After avoiding at least one police roadblock, police dash cam footage shows the suspect’s truck making a wide turn and slamming into police vehicles before one of the pursuing officers hit the left side of the truck bed.
The video includes audio that sounds like gunshots being fired by police. Based on the video and information released by police, it is not yet clear whether Molina Cornelio fired at police or showed officers a gun, prompting them to open fire. Police previously said a shotgun was recovered from his vehicle.
This story was originally published July 6, 2022 1:49 p.m.