Bodycam video shows police shooting and killing gunman in Ferguson

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. – St. Louis County police released body camera footage from multiple agencies and sent audio of a shooting involving an officer in Ferguson in December.

Jeremi Moore, 35, of St. Louis, was pronounced dead at the scene after an exchange of gunfire. According to the investigation, the incident began when Ferguson police received a 911 call on December 12, 2021.

“The caller said a burly black man in a white coat, pulled a gun on the caller,” said St. Louis County Police Department Lt. Col. Stephen Sack. “Two uniformed Ferguson Police Department officers driving marked patrol vehicles responded to the area.”

At 8:33 p.m., one of the responding officers spotted the suspect at the intersection of South Harvey and Wesley Avenues, but ran behind houses on the 100 block of S Harvey Avenue. This officer did not prosecute him.

A second officer spotted him at 8:35 p.m. lying on his stomach outside a house at 618 Wesley Avenue. The police officer got out of his patrol car to investigate and the suspect ran in the background. Ferguson’s two police officers followed into the backyard.

At approximately 8:36 p.m., two shots were fired at Ferguson officers.

“Investigation has revealed that the body-worn cameras assigned to the two responding Ferguson officers were not activated during this part of the incident,” Lt. Col. Stephen Sack said.

Shotspotter captured the gunfire report. The Ferguson Police Department initiated an officer in need of a call for assistance. Staff from the St. Louis County Police Department, North County Police Cooperative and other surrounding departments responded.

“Shots fired, shots fired, clear all units, shots fired, officers needing assistance, shots fired,” can be heard over the dispatch audio. “At the back of 618 Carson.”

Officers lost sight of him but found a backpack that belonged to him. When more officers responded, they established a perimeter, and officers’ body-worn cameras from multiple angles show the moment officers see the suspect. It also shows officers searching through a wooded area to find the suspect.

“Get out where I can see you, let me see your hands, *shots* fired, officer needing help” is some of what can be heard on body-worn cameras of the police officer.

Police said at 8:59 p.m. the suspect fired a shot at North County Police Cooperative officers.

“Shots were fired at me, shots were fired at me,” an officer can be heard saying on body-worn cameras. The officer fired back. The suspect then moved from the back of the house to the front, and officers from multiple departments closed in on the suspect.

Officers can be heard saying ‘Drop the gun, show me your hands’ as the suspect lies on the ground.

EMS was called to the scene and Moore was pronounced dead. According to the St. Louis County Police Department investigation, law enforcement fired 20 shots.

“Consistent with our general order, in order to maintain transparency and accountability to the public, the goal of this department is to release all existing relevant body camera and/or dash cam footage, as determined by Chief of police, within 45 days of a critical incident involving St. Louis County police officers,” the police department said in a statement late Tuesday.

“A critical incident is defined as any incident where an officer uses deadly force directed at another person, either by firearm discharge or by means other than firearm discharge, where serious physical injury or death may have occurred.”