Armenia accuses Azerbaijani armed forces of violating ceasefire agreement

Armenia’s Defense Ministry on Friday accused the Azerbaijani Armed Forces of opening fire on Armenian positions, in violation of a ceasefire agreement, the ministry said in a social media post.

“On September 23 at 07:40 (03:40 GMT), units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces again violated the ceasefire regime by firing from different positions at Armenian combat positions located in the eastern area of

the Armenian-Azerbaijani border,” the ministry said in a Facebook post on Friday.

Armenia said it opened retaliatory fire and reported no casualties among its service personnel.

There was no immediate comment from Azerbaijan on the claims. Earlier this week, Baku accused Armenia of staging “provocations” along the common border by firing mortars and grenades at its forces.

Fighting between the two sides erupted earlier this month in clashes that left nearly 200 soldiers dead – the bloodiest confrontation since a six-week war between the two ex-Soviet nations in 2020.

The fighting is linked to decades-old hostilities for control of the Nagorno-Karabakh region, internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but until 2020 largely controlled by the majority Armenian population.

Armenia said Azerbaijan had attacked its territory and seized settlements within its borders beyond the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh. Azerbaijan said it was responding to “provocations” from the Armenian side.

Russia is a military ally of Armenia, but is also trying to maintain friendly relations with Azerbaijan and has resisted calls from Yerevan to trigger a mutual self-defense clause. Baku is supported militarily, financially and politically by Turkey.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)